October 13, 2013

NEW AND IMPROVED WATER FEATURE


NEW PROJECT


Last weekend I finally got to a project I've had planned for quite a while. I've had this water feature in for over a year now and realized that I needed to make it larger so that I would not have to constantly add water to keep it running. I also needed to put a larger pump as the one that came with the fountain pushed just enough water to spill over the top of the urn. I found a round 35 gallon preformed basin at Home Depot for $30 and a pump that would circulate up to 700 gallons per hour at Lowe's.  With shovel and pick in hand, I was ready to get it done!

Original fountain with small basin and low flow pump.


Fountain broken down with new basin ready to install



Now the fun part, digging!



Basin installed, leveled, new pump added and urn placed and leveled and basin filled. Stones placed around the basin and the power cord connected.

The new improved water feature!



The area around the fountain is now ready for planting with fall bulbs (tulips) and flowers (pansies, snapdragons) and maybe some ornamental kales.


THE GARDEN

The fall garden continues to do well. Due to the lack of rain I've had to water a couple of times a week  for 30-45 minutes in the early morning. 


Georgia collards



Broccoli, cabbage, brussels spouts


Sugar snap peas

Earlier this summer I planted three different varieties of fig bushes. To my surprise I found some that were ready to pick today. What a treat!

LSU Purple Fig Bush


FALL BLOOMS


The climbing blackeyed susans continue to take over the landscape.


The yellow butterflies love this plant.


Swamp sunflower with daisy-like bush in foreground.


Close up of above bush.



Swamp sunflower

About two months ago I took some cuttings of  several different hydrangeas and weigela. I started them in course sand after applying a root hormone to the cuttings. The cuttings were placed in a small plastic container with the sand and tented with a white kitchen trash bag after giving the cuttings a good soaking. I had drilled holes in the plastic container to provide drainage. The plastic bag was closed up and placed in a shady spot under some trees and allowed to sit for about 4 weeks. I would occasionally check them to make sure adequate moisture was maintained in the mini greenhouse created by the plastic bag.  After about four weeks I checked to make sure they had rooted by gently tugging on the cuttings. I then removed them from the sand and potted them up in potting soil and hardened them off under the trees. This is how they looked today. This was my first experience with cuttings propagation and I am very pleased with the results. I recently read Ken Druse book "Making More Plants" and I hope to expand and try different propagation techniques next year.  


PARTING SHOT

Dusty my constant companion in the garden.


No comments: